Re: Problems with Sarge netinst and Yaboot

<isaac@sindominio.net> writes:

> Hi, I've just bought a PowerBook G4 12".
>
> I have downloaded the Beta1 of Sarge NetInst for PowerPC (November 9th)
> and I have got a problem at the beginning of the installation.
>
> I enter Open Firmware, and then boot with:
> boot cd:\\yaboot
>
> And then I get:
> /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-3@20000/disk@0:0,yaboot.conf: Unknown or
> corrupt filesystem
> Can't open config file
> Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.10
> Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
> boot: <Enter>
> Please wait, loading kernel...
> :0,/vmlinux: Unable to open file, Invalid device
>
> The ISO image is correct (I have checked the MD5sum) and I've burned it a
> couple of times with the same results.
>
> After trying some things (it was the first time I used yaboot) I've got it
> working with:
> boot: cd:0,/install/powermac/vmlinux initrd=/install/powermac/root.bin
> ramdisk_size=8192 init=/linuxrc
>
> Well, it is not working yet, now it boots the kernel but it can't mount
> the root partition or initrd, it says (after detecting mouse, pci devices,
> etc ...):
> VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 16:01
>  <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds..
>
> If I specify root=/dev/ram0 then it says (earlier than without specifying
> it):
> cramfs: wrong magic
>
> I've tried several combinations of these options without any good result.
>
> Thanks for your help (please, keep me in CC because I'm not subscribed to
> the lists)

My branch of d-i has the following yaboot.conf:

debian-installer/build% cat boot/powerpc/yaboot.conf
## This yaboot.conf is for CD booting only, do not use as reference.
## Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (woody)

# It is important not to have a comma after cd:
device=cd:
default=install
timeout=100

# FIXME: will this be the correct path?
message=/install/powermac/boot.msg

image=/install/powermac/linux
        label=install
        initrd=/install/powermac/root.bin
        append="devfs=mount,dall"
        initrd-size=8192
        read-only

# some machines have wonky framebuffer support
image=/install/powermac/linux
        label=install-safe
        initrd=/install/powermac/root.bin
        initrd-size=8192
        append="video=ofonly devfs=mount,dall"
        read-only

You might or might nor need root=/dev/ram. The beta-1 images are done
by debian-cd so the yaboot.conf and actual image names and locations
might differ but you should be able to compare them.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: bugs in the beta-1 yaboot.conf should be filed against debian-cd, not much debian-boot can do about it