Re: patch

Hi,

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
Subject: Re: patch
Date: 07 Sep 2003 21:12:09 +0200

> And I uploaded the new version, with this support enabled.  The
> Japanese d-i install looked quite good. :)

Thank you very much!

> But I need to know which charset should be selected by default among
> the two japanese entries in /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED.  UTF-8 or
> EUC-JP?  This is the locale that will be included in /etc/locale.gen,
> and possibly in /etc/enviroment.

For users' environment, EUC-JP is preferred.  UTF-8 is not very mature,
unless it is used only for limited range of softwares which we can
test and modify, such as the installer.

> Would you like to add Japanese support to Skolelinux too?  Check
> <URL:http://i18n.skolelinux.no/new-language.html> for instructions.

Sorry I am not very interested in translation.  I think it is one
of labors which should be done for languages which OSes support
very well.

However, I am now working not only for Debian but also various upstream
softwares, because it is needed for these softwares' i18n.  When I say
about i18n, it usually means about ability to display, input, print,
basic process (counting number of characters, extracting a character,
and so on) non-Latin/multibyte/doublewidth/combining characters.
These upstream-level effort will help i18n of any distributions.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/