Re: aic79xx

#include <hallo.h>
* Petter Reinholdtsen [Fri, Jul 25 2003, 10:22:21AM]:

> I believe this driver first appeared in kernel 2.4.21, so it will be
> available when d-i moves from kernel 2.4.20 to 2.4.21.  This
> transition was delayed when we discovered that the new kernel was a
> lot bigger then the currently used kernel.

Same story with BF. I did try to make a 2.4.21 version for the
LinuxTag-CDs, but there were a problem with size and unknown
compatibility.

> Rumors claimed the kernel would become smaller if another gcc version
> is used to compile.  I'm not sure if this is true.

I tried different compilers and different flags, and all builds were
much larger. Finally, some things like nfs support hat to go, but the
result was still not acceptable.

-Os saved few kilobytes.  gcc-2.95 produced the smallest code but failed
to build a driver (IIRC I had to drop a driver to work around it),
gcc-3.2 a bit larger (not significantly, but it's not available on
Woody), while gcc-3.0 code was about 80kB larger.

Another issue is the IDE code stability. I have been told bad things
about it, and could reproduce a hard crash/reboot with enabled DMA
(ATAPI writes on ServerWorks chipset). Let's hope that 2.4.22 will be
better.

MfG,
Eduard.
--
<KaiL> susn: koffice ist ein proof-of-concept, aber praktisch nicht
	wirklich nutzbar