Freeze after startup with bf24

I need the e1000 nic driver, so I'm using the bf2.4 boot floppies from:

http://people.debian.org/~blade/boot-floppies/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/bf2.4

Unfortunately, right after the boot up (when the select language
display is up) the machine freezes and wont accept any input --
capslock doesn't light the keyboard led, either.  The machine is a
Precision 350 from Dell that came preinstalled with Redhat and was
running kernel 2.4.18.  The floppies I made work fine on another
machine here.

If anyone has any suggestions that'd be great, otherwise I'll probably
end up setting up my own kernel for the install.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>