Re: Persistant issue with 2.4.20 kernel - VFS: Cannot open root device

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 11:02:25PM +0200, Eric Smith wrote:

> I mailed a week ago regarding this and have been suffering ever since.
>
> I have a working booting woody installation with a 2.2.20-idepci
> kernel.  Then installed a 2.4.20 kernel as a dual boot.
>
> Whenever I select the 2.4.20 kernel, I get the below error:
>
> Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02
> Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:02
>
> fs is ext2.
> Now why does the newer kernel not see the root fs?
> Has it to with the proc fs not being mounted or
> some required modules not being loaded.  I am not sure if the modules
> in /etc/modules get loaded before the panic seen below.
> Wish there was more debug info.

It couldn't load the modules if it can't find the root partition.

I didn't look at your old posting, did you include lilo.conf and dmesg
output? Not wanting to insult, but do you have the same root= in the
lilo.conf for the 2.4 kernel? Which method do you use to choose which
to boot?

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People