Re: sarge and sid issues with VFS: Cannot open root device - catch 22

According to Chris Tillman on Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 06:47:20PM -0700:
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 11:49:48PM +0200, Eric Smith wrote:
> > I can install and boot potato no problem however using the sarge install
> > CD and installing either sarge or sid, I have the same error message.
> > Have tried various partitioning strategies and "root=" commands.
> >
> > FWIW - thus spake dmesg:
> >
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:02
> >
> > Perhaps it has to do with defining a
> > root=/dev/discs/... or some other path
> >
> > Thanks for any  suggestions.
>
> Have you tried woody? Since the sarge installer is not yet
> in beta, anyone wnating to install rather than test is advised
> to install woody and then upgrade to sarge if they want sarge.

Ok, so I installed with the woody CD and that boots fine but
I am still in the same bind - I need kernel 2.4.20 in order to load
a module that I have only in object form (e1000.o by name -
this is for the intel gigabit eth0 port).  I cannot use the CD
to upgrade to the required kernel version so that I may
succesfully load the module.

So I made a boot floppy with a 2.4.20 image (taken from the
relevant deb with dpkg -X) and this gives me - alas - the
exact same VFS - kernel panic stuff as mentioned above.
IS there a way to find out why the root fs is failing to
load in these circumstances.  Must I add some geometry
parameters - this trial and error could go on forever.

My other option is to recompile the module from inte's source
but when I tried to unzip the kernel source I got checksum
errors - now that is weird.

Not happy.

--
Eric Smith