Re: your mail

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 09:36:20AM -0400, Sam Steel wrote:
> Dear Debian,
> I have been trying to install "Woody" on a computer I got fro WalMart with
> "Lindows" preinstalled.
> I am not having much luck.
> In the base system installation, I get the following messages.
> From <alt>F1

re you installing to a clean partition? The installer's not
designed to install over an existing installation.

> file:/instmnt/pool/main/g/glic/libc6_2.2.5-11.2_i386.deb
> was corrupt
> Couldn't download libc6
> From <alt>F4
> cp: write: No space left on device

The most common reason this happens is that you didn't
mount a large enough partition to install to.

> ( I have a 10 gig hard drive. )

The drive may be big enough, but the installer is limited
to the partition(s) you have mounted when installing.

> From <alt>F3
> (String of reasonable messages, followed by these two )
> Jul 7 09:04:40 (none) user.info dbootstrap[272]: no '/target/basedebs.tar'
> files found, Debian archive not in default location
> Jul 7 09:04:51 (none) user.info dbootstrap[272] The installation program
> couldn't find any directory containing a file basedebs.tar or
> dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Release
> I purchased and received the CD set from AboutDebian about two weeks ago. I
> have tried to install them on two computers, with very similar results.
> Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Sam Steel

That message sounds like you didn't mount any partitions? You need
to mount at least a root partition and possibly others is you are
designing a multi-partition system.

Or possibly you told it to look on the hard drive for the
installation software, rather than the CD?

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People