Re: Bosnian translation of debian-installer

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 04:55:39PM +0200, Safir Secerovic Linux Zagor wrote:
> Hello everyone, I'm a Debian user from Bosnia and Herzegovina and
> would like very much to contribute to Debian by translating everything
> I could into Bosnian language. Since debian-installer is the first
> hurdle users come across I would like to start with that. Please give
> me detailed instructions as where I should start and what files are of
> interest to me. So far I only have experience gained from translating
> few .po files.

I advise you to concentrate your effort on the new installer called
debian-installer, rather than on the old one called boot-floppies since the
next version of debian should use d-i, and since no new release of b-f is
planned in the future.

Then, to translate d-i, you should get the relevant po files from
http://www.de.debian.org/intl/l10n/po-debconf/pot

But be carefull, this page does not only link to the d-i files, but to all
files using the same technology for i18n than d-i. The other files are
debconf templates used at package installation time, so they are the second
thing users will see and are also worth being translated. To see which files
are part of d-i, you'll have to search the in CVS for example on
http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/

For now, the list of such "package" seem to be:
  aboot-installer, anna, arcboot-installer, autopartkit, baseconfig-udeb,
  base-installer, cdebconf, cdrom-checker, cdrom-detect, choose-mirror,
  dasd, ddetect, elilo-installer, floppy, grub-installer, kbd-chooser,
  lilo-installer, lvmcfg, main-menu, netcfg, netdevice, palo-installer,
  partconf, partitioner, prebaseconfig, silo-installer,
  debian-installer-utils, yaboot-installer.
They seem to contain 453 strings to translate[1], in 88k of data[2].

Check http://www.de.debian.org/intl/l10n/po-debconf/README-trans for more
information on how to translate those files.

Once you translated some po files, make sure they are gramatically correct
by asking other people to review them if possible, make sure they are
technically correct running msgfmt on them, and once it's done, post them to
this list for inclusion in the CVS. If you translate a lot of such files, I
guess you should ask a CVS write right to commit them yourself.

If you translate debconf templates related not to d-i but to a regular
package, you should send it in a regular bug repport (severity wishlist,
containing "template" in the title) against the corresponding package.

At the same time, you may want to get more people involved in this effort,
and ask for the creation of a debian-l10n-bosnian to coordinate the work.

Good luck, Mt.

[1]:
  t=0;(for n in find -name *.pot ; do LC_ALL=C msgfmt --statistics $n 2>&1|sed
  's/^.* messages, //'|sed 's/ unt.*//';done)|while read line; do t=expr $t +
  $line;echo $t; done;

[2]:
  t=0;(for n in find -name *.pot ; do wc -c $n|sed 's| ./.*||' ;done)|while
  read line; do t=expr $t + $line;echo $t; done;

--
   - Les morts ne sont plus ici et ils ne votent pas, j'en ai peur.
   - Vous vous trompez. Ils sont ici et ils votent. On appelle ça la