Re: Root-on-LVM-on-RAID HOWTO

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:51:58PM +0100, Thorsten Sauter wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 02:16:56PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> > o Perhaps this was just me, but the default debian install starts both
> > LVM and RAID at S25 in /etc/rcS.d .  If you aren't using raid
> > autodetect this can cause problems because LVM starts first.  I moved
> > LVM to S27.
>
> I have written an bug report agains lvm-common some month ago, which
> deal with this problem. The bug is closed, so I think raid devices are
> activated before lvm is started (scanned). I'm note sure, if this is
> really fixed, because I have fixed the problem localy.
> Please refer to: #150493
>
> If not, I should reopen the bug. Please let me know.

According to the info for that bug, lvm-common moves its startup link
to S26.  This solves the problem.

Unfortunately, the lvm-common in stable will never get this fix.
Thus, the HOWTO should mention this issue since many people (should)
use stable.

  What's needed is a certification system that separates those who
  can barely regurgitate what they crammed over the last few weeks
  from those who command secret ninja networking powers.