Re: Problem booting up

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:34:40AM -0500, Robert Barber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie and I'd like to install Debian on a computer of mine.  I tried installing from CD but can't get it to work.  I get a blank screen after a second or two when I hit enter.  I am using the correct version for my architecture (i386).  I tried nolangchooser which got rid of the blank screen but the computer hangs every time anyway (after apparently finding my CD- and CDRW drives, etc. successfully) .  This is what the last line reads before it hangs:
>
> init started:  BusyBox v0,60.3-pre (2002.01.21-22:50+0000) multi-call binary

Have you tried the other 3 flavors (refer to the manual)? If this
is a generic popular kind of PC, you will probably need the idepci
flavor.

Be sure also to read all the help screens in F1-F9 available before
booting. There is much helpful information.

You may be able to get more details on the problem by adding debug to
your boot arguments.

> I had Windows installed on the computer but have already reformatted C (format c: /s) from DOS.  There is one partition created using the fdisk utility.  I tried running fips but it told me that 12-bit FAT wasn't supported (?).
>
> I don't have a lot of system information because I only know how to read it from Windows and I forgot to write it down. (I know this wasn't the smartest thing I could have done.)  If you need more information about my system before being able to help me, could you please tell me what you need to know and what utilities I should use to get it?

You will need to know the type of network card. There are HOWTOs about
figuring that out, try google for 'linux network card identification'
or something. If it's a fairly standard computer, that's probably
all you'll need.

BTW, since this is a text mailing list you should manually break
your lines at around 70 characters.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003