Woody bf2.4 laptop network setup broken?

Hi.  I'm trying to install Woody from the network on my laptop using the bf2.4 floppies.  I can configure PCMCIA support OK, and the kernel has pcnet_cs support so my D-Link DFE-670TXD card is recognized fine.  I need to enter manually the network config (no DHCP) in case that makes a difference.  This is what my /var/log/messages contains after attempting to bring up eth0

(from var/log/messages)

: Starting 'cardmgr'
: starting, version is 3.1.33
: watching 2 sockets
: socket 1: D-Link DFE-670-TXD Fast Ethernet
: executing: 'modprobe 8390'
: executing: 'modprobe pcnet_cs'
: executing: './network start eth0'
: + cat: /var/lib/misc/pcmcia-scheme: No such file or directory

And then bootstrap tells me that my network isn't yet configured.  I tried configuring the network several times, even rebooted, etc and always hit this wall.

I searched the mailing lists and my problem is identical to that someone else had and was reported in the Debian User mailing list (and received no replies)

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200209/msg04382.html

Help!

Thanks,
Eduardo Dueñez