LILO fails

Hello,

I´m having problems with LILO and I can´t find any documentation that seems related...

Symtoms:
LILO prints "L", followed by the number "07" which seems to repeat endlessly.

I´ve bought a Debian 3.0 CD set and have installed LILO (and Linux) using the install CD.
I can now boot from a boot-floppy (had *that* much wits :-) or from the install-CD.

My HW:
Attached to the IDE bus:

- The master HDD is a Western Digital WD400, a 40.0 GB disk that holds a VFAT partition (hda1 in linux), which is "bootable", and an NTFS partition (hda2 in linux). The VFAT partition is more or less empty and the other one holds a Win XP installation and loads of apps and data :-)

- The slave HDD is an IBM Deskstar IC35L040AVVA07-0, a 41.1 GB disk that I have made two linux partitions on: a 2M swap (hdb2) and the rest (hdb1) is non-swap. The non-swap is marked "bootable".

- A Sony CRX160E CD burner	(cable select I think)
- An Iomega 250MB Zip drive	(cable select I think)

The BIOS is a standard Dell BIOS, rev. A13, and the computer itself is a Dell Precision 420MT.

I found some program that I could install on some boot floppy that would probe some HD geometry, it responded:
Drive 0x80 Cyl:Head:Sec = 1023:255:63
whichever drive that was?

The system also have 2 1GHz 686 processors, a Promise Ultra 100 TX2 controller with a NEC DV-800A DVD player attached, 768M RAM, Intel 82801AA USB, who knows what matters?

I half-remember having read sometime that the letters in LILO printed at start-up show up after certain stages have been completed, but can´t seem to find it again.

My Debian books say nothing on this topic and the other documentation I´ve found seems to concern other things (or am I stupid?).

Anyone know what docs I should read to solve this problem?

Pleez let me know if the information I´ve given so far is insufficient...
--

Christer

"The three principal virtues of a programmer are Laziness, Impatience, and Hubris."
(from the man page for perl)