Re: Root image for network install ?

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 03:09:05AM +0200, Christoph Plattner wrote:
> Hello Debian Hackers,
>
> here is a further dependent question:
>
> Although I am not new in Linux-stuff, and although
> a participate some GNU projects or even HP and VAX Linux
> projects (device driver development), I am not able
> to fully understand the debian installation (sorry).
>
> To get a fully naked installation (empty machine),
> I need the current rescue floppy, containing SILO
> and kernel. This floppy isinstrumented to ask for
> a root floppy.
>
> The root floppy download from the web is one, which
> is only possible to use for locally installation,
> for example for CD ROM. But which floppy or image
> I have to use for the "standard" network installation
> via ftp ? I cannot find it !
>
> The drivers are only drivers (I think), the base system
> is the tar ball for a root file system (debootstrap
> cannot unpack it on a i386 system, as I want to install
> a SPARC machine).
>
> Which root floppy I have to use ???

It sounds like maybe you are thinking that basedebs.tar is what the
rescue floppy is asking for. Instead, it is asking for a floppy made
from the image file named root.bin. That floppy image contains
instructions and a ramdisk filesystem which will handle any kind of
install (CD, hard disk, network, NFS).

You will find the root.bin image in the images-1.44 folder for the
target architecture, next to the rescue.bin image.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |