Re: kernel version 2.4.18-generic on a dec alpha xl 266

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 09:30:52PM +0200, Joachim K?stler wrote:
> Good evening!
>
> I have successfully installed debian woody on the above mentioned
> machine. After having updated to kernel version 2.4.18 I can no longer
> boot. I always get the error message:
>
> Kernel panic: cannot mount root fs.
>
> The scsi-controller seems to be have been identified correctly, the
> correct module ncr53c8xx seems to have been loaded.
>
> I couldn't find any solution on the net. Is there anybody on
> lists.debian.org who can help me?

Can you at least boot the Linux.old configuration from lilo? I remember
lots of warnings during lilo configuration about setting up an initrd
for 2.4 (not needed in 2.2). Did you do that?

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |