kernel version 2.4.18-generic on a dec alpha xl 266

Good evening!

I have successfully installed debian woody on the above mentioned machine. After having updated to kernel version 2.4.18 I can no longer boot. I always get the error message:

Kernel panic: cannot mount root fs.

The scsi-controller seems to be have been identified correctly, the correct module ncr53c8xx seems to have been loaded.

I couldn't find any solution on the net. Is there anybody on lists.debian.org who can help me?

Thank you very much!

Joachim Köstler