Re: Woody Installation

Colin Watson wrote:

> > Unfortunately, apropos doesn't work out of the box. You have
> > to run mandb in order for it to build the apropos database,
> > this is done the first time cron runs, but on a system like
> > mine where cron never runs, well it just doesn't happen. Just
> >
> > mandb
did mandb
Purging old database entries in /usr/share/man
mandb: can't update index cache /var/cache/man/index.bt: No such file or
directory.
Processing manual paes under /usr/share/man
fopen: No such file or directory
Updating indes cache for path '/usr/share/man". Wait...
mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/vdex.1x.gz: whatis parse for
vdesk(1x) failed
Purging old database entries in /usr/local/man...
mandb:  can't update index cache /var/cache/man/oldlocal/index.bt: No
such file or directory.
Processing manual pages under /usr/local/man...
fopen: No such file or directory
Purging old database entries in /usr/X11R6/man...
mandb:  can't update index cache /var/cache/man/X11R6/index.bt: No such
file or directory.
Processing manual pages under /usr/X11R6/man...
fopen: No such file or directory

mandb
no errors now
Are those errors normal for a first invokation of mandb?

> I fixed this in man-db 2.3.20-20, after a fashion: the database won't
> get updated over time unless you have cron enabled, but this is
> difficult to avoid without making man a pain to use; at least you get a
> database built with the man pages from base packages.
>
> Do you think it's worth me making an upload to stable with just this
> change, to see if it'll be let into 3.0r1?
I have never been involved in developing Debian, so I better should
remain silent on this (although I appreciate all improvements).

Axel Schlicht