aha152x won't boot

Hi,

In short: the line "boot: linux aha152x=0x340,11,7" does not
show the desired result from boot floppies. (woody/stable)

The long story:
I acquired an old portable machine in the usual way and would
like to make it work. I slapped in an old HD of mine, that
happened to carry a working installation of woody.
Using the mentioned parameter, I can boot from the harddisk.

However, I'd like to repartition and think that the easiest way
would be to start over. But when loading the very same kernel
from boot floppies, the "aha152x=etc" doesn't seem to work; at any rate the hostadapter isn't found, the
text scrolls past too
fast for me to tell more.

Noone's life depends on this; it's a mere hobbyhorse. but if
someone could give me a hint what I'm doing wrong...

cu,
Schnobs