Re: Partition tools (Re: debian-installer status -- 2002-07-29)

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 12:09:08AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> #include <hallo.h>
> Matt Zimmerman wrote on Mon Jul 29, 2002 um 09:00:42AM:
>
> > What is the basis for your objection?  Are you going to try to stop someone
> > else from doing this development?
>
> Pretty simple. The same reason as for not having XFS in the default
> kernel:
>
>  - development stage
>  - not in the kernel
>  - changes lots of stuff in the kernel
>  - not stable or has other nasty bugs
>  - future stable version breaks things
>
> I know that you like EVMS, and I do too, but it's still beta-ware. You may
> argue that it will be stable to the time when Sarge is ready - but we do
> also release with 2.2.x as default 1.5years after 2.4 release.

I am in complete agreement that we would not want to include EVMS, XFS or
similar in our default kernel unless (or until) they are part of the
official kernel.

However, I am willing to do some work to support EVMS in d-i, and to provide
EVMS-enabled installation media for those who are interested in trying it.
If I can use this experience to improve volume management support in d-i,
then I would hope that my contributions would be welcome.

--
 - mdz