Re: debian-installer status -- 2002-07-29

* "Christian T. Steigies"

| On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 04:48:30AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
|
| > So, to round this up, the current issue list is:
| > - - unbreak cdebconf
| > - - partitioner
| > - - multiple arch support
| >
| > Comments, help and code is, as always, welcome.
|
| Can you give us a kickstart on how to use it, how to build it, what has to
| be done for other arches? Will there be a package, do we have to build it
| directly from CVS? If CVS, how about a README-CVS as the boot-floppies have
| it? Of course its possible to check d-i out, even without this knowledge,
| but wouldn't it make things easier for d-i newbies?

It will not be one package, it is a multitude of them.

Please read
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2002/debian-boot-200207/msg00441.html
for some step-by-step instructions on building d-i.  Because of the
cdebconf breakage, most stuff is in parts ATM.  Help finding and
fixing those segfaults in cdebconf would be appreciated.

| When you are talking about partitioning, are you using something portable or
| one of the existing programs, fdisk, cfdisk? Whats the plan for arches where
| cfdisk is not working? m68k has special fdisks for the subarches, will it be
| possible to use them or do we have to get something else working? Does d-i
| work without a partitioning tool?

There isn't a complete plan.  I think wrapping the partitioner in a
shellscript which checks frontend and arch and based on that (and
other relevant information like the color of your neighbour's cat and
the moon phase)  decides what partitioner to run.  cfdisk can probably
be run with 'cfdisk < /dev/tty > /dev/tty'.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-