Re: [d-i] debconf, partitioning widget?

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:30:15 +0200
Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> wrote:

> #include <hallo.h>

Greetings :)

>From what I have read of the difficulties of dealing with BF, I gather
that people do not want to deal with it. They want it -gone-. -Forever-.

> > > You like "argumenting" with semi-technical reasons - so which one
> > > is it this time?
> >
> > Good grief, you _weren't_ joking?
>
> Nope. The smiley was for Debian-4.0. If we cannot guarantee stable DI
> in appropriate time, the whole distribution should not wait for it.

Remember that people are volunteering their time to put into debian.
Originally, I wouldn't think I would have to put this reminder in,
but the statement above suggests otherwise.

As intimated above, I gather working on boot-floppies is difficult
and frustrating: takes long to build, once it is built, changing
the result is only possible through the application of another
build, and requires people to think really hard about how to make
the change given the addonitis which boot-floppies has caught,
and given the needs other developers have for initial debian installs.
(Example of need, busybox, perl, bash).

So, in summary, I gather that continuing to work on boot-floppies
is inefficient and not sufficiently contributory. Sure, you'd get
a result, but how much work would be necessary to obtain it?

Given the volunteer nature of debian development, you shouldn't blame
anyone for outright refusing to work under these conditions, and if they
do, you owe them many beers and dinners, given the existance of a more
efficient mode of (co)operation. (again, on a voluntary basis... if it's
decided, forexample, that the work is satisfactory and contributory by
all concerned, dinner n a beer could be foregone in light of the
collaborative contribution.)

> Gruss/Regards,
> Eduard.

-Jim