Re: Problem with installing the base system

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 06:19:07PM +0200, Stephan van de Haar wrote:
> I'm trying to install Debian 3.0 on my system but I cannot install the base
> system.
>
> The installation procedure stops with an error: "failure while configuring
> base packages".
> This error is repeated 5 times. After that I get another error: "debootstrap
> has exited with an error (return value 1)"
>
> After this error let the system write a report file to my disk. The
> following line failed:
> "/usr/sbin/debootstrap --boot-floppies --arch i386 sid /target
> file:/instmnt"
>
> Then I removed the file awk and I tried to run this line manually.
> Everything is going fine until the system tries to install the following
> packages:
>
> "aptitude" and "lilo"

It looks like you're installing from a CD. Which CD is it? It's installing
from the sid distribution, which is odd. And those packages seem to be
missing from the CD, I guess.

Detailed messages appear during the base installation on Alt-F4.

If your machine has a network connection, you might have better luck with
a network install.