Success with bf-2.4

Hi,

I recently obtained a new machine, an AMD Athlon 1.2GHz on an Asus A7A266
motherboard and I attempted to install Debian on it using the potato 2.2r3
CDs. I also tried an experimental Woody netinst CD but ran into problems
with both due to the 2.2.x kernel not recognising the PS/2 keyboard (the
"keyboard: timeout - AT Keyboard not present?" error during kernel boot).

However, I was able to successfully install using the bf-2.4 ISO from
28-01-2002. There have been no insurmountable problems but there was one
oddity in the "Install Kernel Drivers" step.

It prompted me for the source so I chose the CDROM option, which it
mounted and then asked for the path to the Debian directory on the CD. Not
being sure what the correct path was and being confused by the directory
tree display (it had a recursive debian link), I managed to choose the
wrong one, got an error message to that effect and popped back out to the
main install menu with the same install step selected.

So I switched to another vt and using the shell figured out what the
correct path was and switched back to the install to try again. I started
the install step again and chose CDROM as my source but then it gave me an
error about not being able to mount the CD. I quickly realised that it was
because the CD was already mounted from the last time and unmounted it
manually using the 2nd vt. I was then able to complete the install step.

Other than that, the install went very smoothly. I particularly like the
ease with which I was able to install the base system, etc. from a Debian
mirror site.

I firmly believe that a kernel 2.4 flavour of boot floppies such as this
would be a "Good Thing" to have in the Debian 3.0 release.

Thanks,
Gordon