Re: boot from CDROM on IBM Thinkpad A30p hangs

> Richard Staehli wrote on Thu Jan 31, 2002 um 12:26:48PM:
> > The last thing is the line:
> >
> >   Md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
> >
> > Then it hangs.
>
> Known problem with the vanilla installation disks.
>
> > How can I install?
>
> Please try the other CDs. If your admin does know his job, the
> additional CDs should contain different boot flavors, and one of them is
> idepci, designed for such bitchy systems.
>
> If you want to install Woody and play the beta tester for the future
> kernel-2.4 installation flavor, please visit
> http://people.debian.org/~blade/bf2.4/. There is a small ISO image with
> Kernel and Driver disks, which you can burn on a CDRW and boot from it.

A friend of mine had exactly the same problem with the vanilla kernel on his
Toshiba laptop (don't know the model, but it's a brand new and decent
machine). I then gave him my bf2.4 cd (which works perfectly for me).
Strangely enough the new kernel still hangs at boot. It's not wile tying to
load the MD driver but just after a driver whose name I can't remeber right
now. I think it was something like "MTP" followed by a comany name.

I can reproduce the bug when I meet him again (tomorrow) and write down where
exactly it stopped if that helps.

Beat