Re: Booting Woody on iMac/PowerBook

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 05:07:58PM +0000, Alex Blewitt wrote:
> The installation manual suggests in 4.2 that the files downloadable from
> Debian mirrors have a flavour 'new-powermac' that use a 2.4
> kernel. However, visiting (one of the) http.us.debian.org servers, the
> only ones that showed up were the powermac images.
>
> Is this because all powermacs use the 2.2 kernel, or is it because the
> server did not have the new-powermac flavour available?

Door #2, it's not released yet. But it's imminent.

> Secondly, I have no floppy drive on my machine, but a UFS formatted
> partition for Debian to reside on. It would be useful if the installation
> documents suggested a way of uncompressnig the disk images and unzipping
> them to the (newly formatted) partition, along with a (yaboot/OF) boot
> command to boot of the new drive.

I'm pretty sure UFS won't work at all for Debian, if you just delete
the partition Debian can make use of the free space with its included
partition tool.

> (I'm downloading the debian-imac.sit, which may be the solution; however,
> at 22MB it's significantly larger than the few boot-floppies which I'd
> need.)

It has included instructions for floppy-less install, which are also
in the current 3.0 install manual. But if you have recent hardware
(new in the last year or so), you really need new-powermac instead.

I'll be revising debian-imac soonish to include new-powermac.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |