Re: Things we need from sid

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 07:25:13AM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:

> > > IMHO reiserfs simply isn't viable anymore.  So I don't really care

please explain - how is it ``not viable anymore''? replaced by ext3? the
only thing ext3 has is journalling. reiserfs brings a lot more to the
table than simply journalling.

> > 2.4 uses reiserfs-3.6 as default, 2.2.20 does not (and apparently will
> > never) support it. Imagine someone downloads the Debian stuff to a
> > ReiserFS partition under SuSE/RedHat (where reiserfs-3.6 has been used
> > for epochs) and tries to mount it.
>
> Please recall that we're discussing boot floppies here so existing file
> systems do not matter.

not true. the basedebs.tgz could have been downloaded by the SuSE
alt-boot reiserfs partition. /usr/local could be shared between the
Debian and Red Hat boots, which could easily be reiserfs.

this is not a non-issue, but a real and valid one.

	the latter can be worked around by upgrading the kernel to 2.4.x
	after the install, then adding the /usr/local to fstab. the
	former cold only be worked around by putting the basedebs.tgz on
	a non-reiser partition. the same issue faced by those using xfs.

-john

disclaimer: i happily run 2.2.20.