Re: Disabling vga16 in the boot config

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 04:54, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> I don't think we have a Japanese-capable terminal emulator running on
> boot, do we?

No.  I think we would have to arrange that Japanese locales get a copy
of kon2 installed and run base-config inside it.

The trouble with using bterm is that it requires everything to be in
UTF-8.  At the moment at least, this isn't typically the case for latin
languages.  In the closed world of dbootstrap it's no problem to recode
all the strings while building the boot-floppies, but at the time
base-config runs the strings will be coming directly from random
packages.  I had the impression that even with Japanese most strings
were still coded in EUC-JP rather than Unicode, but maybe I was wrong
about that.

p.