Panic, I'm trying to make my own bootdisks

Hello!

I want to make my own bootdisks.
I need to start linux from bootdisks with partitionimage and network suport.
Partitionimage is a client/server program that restores your harddisk from an image.

I have read the manual (bootdisk-howto) several times.

When I boot up from the bootdisks I made everything looks normal
But when I try to login with a username the system dont asks for my password and
insted I get a new login prompt.

I suspekt its a PAM configurations problem on my rootdisk.
I am stuck Please help me
I am panicing I have workt on this bootdisks for 3 days.

Thanks Adrian