Re: [i386] introducing a kernel 2.4 installation flavor

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 07:46:10PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> Anthony Towns wrote on Thu Jan 17, 2002 um 12:59:01AM:
> > <idepci> do anything <compact> can't, or is it any easier to use? If not,
> > can it be dumped for <compact>?
>
> If you ask me, I do not see any need for the idepci flavor. Its
> description says:
>
> | The idepci flavor contains a kernel with only IDE and PCI support.  It
> | is geared towards modern PCs without SCSI controllers.  If you have
> | SCSI, you should be using the 'compact' flavor rather than this one.

Some people get lots of strange messages using the compact version, as
it's trying to detect scsi drives, if there aren't any present. I
think perhaps it even quits because it can't find them. Adam
recommends idepci to those people.

This might also not be a problem with the 2.4 kernel, that is we could
send people from compact to 2.4 instead of to idepci, possibly.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |