install problem

Having acquired Potato, and being unable to boot from the CD, I wrote the disk images in /images-1.44/udma66 (I use IDE devices, and was in doubt; figured ide support wouldn't hurt and thought it applied to post-install). Boot from rescue.bin diskette, enter "linux" at boot: prompt.
Much scrolls by, until this happens:
floppy0: no floppy controllers found
md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
Partition check:
    hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 <hda5 hda6 hda7>
    hde: [PTBL] [7476/255/63] hde1
VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into RAM disk and press ENTER
*I enter disk from root.bin image
request_module[block-major-2]: Root fs not mounted
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.13)
apm: disabled on user request.
VFS: Insert root floppy and press enter
*I press enter
request_module[block-major-2]: Root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device 02:00
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs 02:00

Sorry about the double message; hotmail grew to hate me and my indiscriminate use of the tab button. I have tried multiple diskettes here, although it doesn't appear to be a diskette failure. Any ideas?

thanks -
Matthias