Re: woody install problem

Your Mail-Followup-To address is incomplete. Please correct that.

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 06:42:29PM +0100, Egbert Bouwman wrote:
> Dear woody install debugger,
> I am a naive end-user, but have installed slink and potato
> several times already.
>
> Now I try to install woody (kernel 2.2.19) from a cd-set into the 2nd hdisk:
>     /     into  /dev/hdb2
>     /usr  into  /dev/hdb5   in secondary partition /dev/hdb4
>     /var  into  /dev/hdb6   idem
>
> I haven't filled or used any floppies yet; that comes later, I suppose.
>
> Then I try to Install the base system. I choose successively:
>    Installation medium: previous (ie cdrom)
>    important note: boot-floppy testers ...: continue
>    Select a distribution: 'woody'
> and that gives:
>    Base installation Error
>    debootstrap exited with an error (return value 2)

What does the intro screen say your version of boot-floppies is? I'm
guessing maybe 3.0.16 or 17, there was a bug that caused dbootstrap to
segfault when choosing a medium. (You realize of course that woody is
not yet stable or released).

> In the alt-F4 screen the last two messages are:
>    kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped
>    /usr/sbin/debootstrap: arithmetic expression: syntax error: " 0 + "
>
> In the console screen (alt-F2) I see:
> /etc/fstab only contains a line for /dev/fd0
> /etc/mtab does not contain a floppy line, but has:
>
> /dev/root     /            ext2    rw 0 0
> /proc         /proc        proc    rw 0 0
> /dev/hdb2     /target      ext2    rw 0 0
> /dev/hdb5     /target/usr  ext2    rw 0 0
> /dev/hdb6     /target/var  ext2    rw 0 0
> /dev/cdrom    /instmnt     iso9660 ro 0 0
>
> Something that disturbs me is that several times i come across
> remarks about diskettes, boot-floppies, but I try to install from
> a CD-set. For instance, i see in /etc/inittab as the third line:
> # init(8) configuration for debian boot-floppies Root Disk.
>
> I may copy ... cuent/images-1.44/rescue.bin and root.bin
> to diskettes. Do I need them ?

The excuse for this is that boot-floppies really were initially
developed for boot 'floppies' and some of the terminology has hung
on. But no, if you had an official CD you would be set. You don't have
an official woody CD, because it hasn't been released. But anyway your
CD should be fine as a medium. It's just premature as a functioning
installer.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |