Woody does not load module wd.o

Package: Debian Installation System, i386
Version: Woody, 3.0.13-2001-08-25

Woody (i386) failed to load the module wd.o during installation
(`Configure Device Driver Modules'):
  /lib/modules/2.2.19/net/wd.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

I encountered the problem on two machines (Asus SP97-XV, K6/266, WD8013EPC
and VLB, i486/33, WD8013EP).  The parameters for the module (io=0x280
irq=11) are correct, the module loads ok on both machines with my old
Linux installation (SuSE Linux 7.0, Kernel 2.2.16 or 2.2.19).  The cards
are soft-configured using the DOS setup utility.  Neither the ports nor
the interrupts are blocked by other drivers or hardware.  The underlying
module 8390.o is loaded without problems.

Finally, I added `reserve=0x280,0x80 ether=0,0x280,eth0' to the initial
lilo prompt and the module wd.o loaded ok, but it failed again in the
first boot of the newly installed system.  Adding the parameters in
/etc/lilo.conf (append-option) did not help.  I wonder which autoprobe
conflicts with my WD8013 ethernet card and how I can disable ist - do you
have any idea?

Is this problem fixed in newer Woody releases?  I didn't find anything
about this issue in the bug archive yet.

--
   Tilmann Boess       (TeX: Tilmann B\"o\ss)
                 e-mail: <tboess@t-online.de>