Re: Still no base tarball

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:32:11AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > Anthony, Adam tells me that you are the responsible party for the base
> > tarball. Where do we find this beast?
>
> Hrm. I don't really have the b/width to make these available. They're pretty

What do you mean! You, of all people on the project, have access to any
Debian machine you wish to use. Build it on the site that will provide it!

> easy to generate:
>
> for a in alpha i386 powerpc; do
> 	/usr/sbin/debootstrap --download-only --arch $a woody woody-$a http://ftp.debian.org/debian/
> 	(cd woody-$a && tar cf ../basedebs_3.0_$a.tar *)
> 	rm -rf woody-$a
> done
>
> Probably should be run as root to get sensible permissions on the debs,
> and needs to be the latest debootstrap from unstable rather than testing,
> but otherwise should be fine and easy.

Only if you already have a Linux box.

This design completely eliminates access to new users.

Most of the participants in the debian-testing group, even with Linux
machines, would be better served with a simple downloadable file.

Also, my last experience, using apt-get to download the base packages,
left me without critical packages like libc6.

Without an FTP source for this file, the new install is FUBAR.

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-