Re: Alpha Boot Floppies: new version

Doug Larrick <doug@ties.org> writes:

> The good news?  bootp/tftp boot works great!  In SRM, you need to
> select bootp via console variable ('set ewa0_protocol bootp' or
> something like that) rather than via a flag to the boot command
> ('boot -proto bootp ewa0' does not work, failing with "Block
> FFFFFFF2 is not in any zone" messages).

That's really good news. I couldn't get bootp to work, so I couldn't
test it.  There were some suspicious hacks in the previous version...

> The bad news?  The installation hangs during/right after installing
> the libc6.1 package.  It hangs so solid that the shell on the second
> virtual console will not respond.  I even tried floppies rather than
> tftp and it stops in the same location.  Is this a known problem?

No.  That's really weird; I have no idea what might cause this. I had
no problems at that point.  Did you download via http, or did you
install from a mounted mirror?

> Also, when trying to write aboot to the disk, it looks like the
> installer is trying to swriteboot to the partition where the root
> filesystem is (/dev/sda<n>) rather than directly to /dev/sda .

I noticed this too.  If this is not just the message being wrong, this
might even destroy data... I'll check it.

        Falk