Re: Status of debian-installer ?

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> it has been a long time since the last "status note" about
> debian-installer (which used to be posted to other lists (can't remember
> it it was debian-devel-announce or debian-devel)).
>
> Can someone post a mail explaining, what whe have, what
> is going, what needs to be done, and so on.

Work on debian installer is on hold until the boot floppies are done for
woody. Since there is a lot of overlap in developers on both projects,
and we don't want to compete with the boot floppies for developers or
testers, this seemed wise.

The current state of debian installer is that it can boot up, get on the
net, and download stuff. The big missing peice is a partitioning module.
After we get that in place, we're nearly home free, since a big peice of
debian installer, debootstrap, was adopted for use in the boot floppies
and has gotten a lot of testing and development time and will be pretty
mature by the time debian installer development starts up again. I
expect we'll be doing our first working installs with debian installer
about 1 month after we begin to work on it again.

--
see shy jo