Re: [debian-installer] Some questions

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 04:04:27PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 02:44:44PM +0200, Thierry Laronde écrivait:
> > A multi choices installation can be made on El Torito CDROMs or, using for
> > example GRUB and a correctly configured ISD dhcp, via network.
>
> Grub can't be used on CDROMs, it doesn't support iso filesystem.

The correct answer is: not yet ;)

> > For ISA, what is really needed? ONLY the devices that may contain resources.
> > Are there CDROMS on ISA? I don't think so. The only thing I have in mind are
> > the ISA NIC.
>
> Yes there is, unfortunately.
> $ ls /lib/modules/2.4.7-686/kernel/drivers/cdrom/
> aztcd.o  cdu31a.o  gscd.o   mcd.o   optcd.o  sjcd.o
> cdrom.o  cm206.o   isp16.o  mcdx.o  sbpcd.o  sonycd535.o
>
> Most of them correspond to specific CDROM using a dedicated ISA card or
> CDROM that can be plugged into a sound card. However they are not much
> spread. I should try to detect common IDE & SCSI CDROMs first, and
> then if I found nothing, I should give the possibilty to load one of the
> other modules (and to give the parameters to modules and to precise
> the device file used with that cdrom).
>
> BTW, is there a simple common way to setup SCSI CDROMs or do we always
> need to have all SCSI driver modules just to access all SCSI CDROMs ?

The only (and I speak for i386) common tricks are the ones allowing to
retrieve the El Torito files. If and only if the bootloader is able to
detect the hardware (there are a basic PCI detection in grub for the NIC) it
could try to download the correct image from the CDROM (El Torito was
partially implemented to allow to download the driver for this very CDROM).

Cheers,
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org/