Re: di: apt-spy instead of choose mirror ?

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 05:32:18PM -0700, idalton@ferret.dyndns.org wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 01:42:27PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> >
> > It should be based on AS numbers IMHO.
>
> What are AS numbers?

Autonomous System numbers, which are assigned to organizations for routing
purposes.  They can be a reasonable indicator of overall path length (though
not necessarily performance).  Of course, in order to map IP addresses to AS
numbers and calculate the distance between a pair of AS's, you need access to a
large database of IP allocations as well as a copy of the entire Internet
routing table.  I doubt this would be a good use of space on the boot-floppies,
and the overhead required to lookup all of this information over the network
would probably outweigh the usefulness of the results.

--
 - mdz