Thoughts on the installer (early)

Folks.
Much of this is probably repeating what has already been said,
but here goes.
I, either on line or in real life, continually say to people who
ask me which distribution of linux to use, "use debian". and
they, routinely, say "but the installer is terrifying, and straight
out of the dark ages." "I really like debian, but the installer
is much too nasty to use." etc etc
With the now working release of gtkfb, and the soon to be
release (hopefully) of curses gtk+, it seems to me that there is
a good opportunity for a "nice" ie, newbie friendly, installer.
Using gtkfb for a graphical installer and curses gtk+ for a text
installer would mean that the same code could be used for both
methods, allowing for a consistent ui "look and feel".
I realise that using gtkfb adds several more dependencies to the
install software, not least is the need to have VESA
framebuffer support compiled into the kernel, but i feel that it
would be a relatively small sacrifice given the potential that a
graphical installer has.
Just some ideas.
cheers,
-Thom