Odd install problem...

I'm trying to install Linux for the first time, on a truly ancient Cyrix 200
machine. Upon booting with the first 'rescue' disk and putting in the 'root'
disk when prompted, I immediately get a big stack trace that pushes any
useful information up off the top of the screen.

I have successfully booted from these two disks on _this_ machine, so they
are not at fault, I have used different SIMMS, and installed an ancient IO
card in case it was the onboard IDE channels or something at fault (it _is_
copying stuff from disk at this stage) but I still get exactly the same
problem. I figure if it was a CPU problem I'd know about it by now, since
I'm halfway through installing 98 right now, bloody thing's taking ages...
In fact its just this minute bluescreened with "A fatal exception 0E has
occurred at 0028:C0002800 in VXD VMM(01) + 00001800." at the detecting PnP
hardware stage. Damn.

Any idea what could be causing this?