Re: biweekly debian-installer status report

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> Done this week:
> - choose-mirror is usable
> - wget retriever works, needs some things like proxy support
> - cdebconf udebs build now, and it is usable
> - demo2a.tar.gz, demo system that can download udebs from the web
>   and uses cdebconf ([🔎] 20001208215147.A1035@tausq.org)
> - netcfg has been started, to perform manual network configuration
> - package pools are here, and udebs can be uploaded
>
> Still Todo (for individual TODO lists, see inside the trees of the
> individual modules):
[snip]
>         - netcfg [David Whedon]
> 		Development in progress, and partly works now.
[snip]

Could network-related things take configuration from DHCP during
installation, or should this be held orthogontal to the installation
procedure?

This would also be DNS server (I don't remember if Potato installer uses
this or not), and proxy server (if an option is defined for proxy), and
later in the configuration process can also be SMTP server and etc.

This just sort of came out of the blue when I was toying with the idea of
making proxy be configurable over DHCP, and then I saw this post and
wondered if the installer should use this information if it's available.