Re: [VA-Debian] Comments from a first-time Debian install.....

Joey Hess <joey@valinux.com> writes:

> Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Ted recommended that one of the tasks be made to represent the
> > standard packages.  I think this is a very good idea.  Let it be
> > checked by default.
>
> I think there are two problems:
>
> 1. How do we get this package; must it be rebuilt every time a package
>    is added/removed from standard? It would need to keep track of
>    differences accross architectures too.

No -- I'm not saying that we create a new task package.  I am merely
saying that tasksel should have a selectable item on the list which is
*not* from a task package, representing the packages at the standard
priority.

> 2. Making it be selected by default in tasksel is not surrently
>    supported. It occurs to me though that tasksel could look at package
>    status and mark all tasks that are installed or are marked for install.
>    Then base-config could just
>    'echo task-standard install | dpkg --set-selections' before running
>    tasksel.

See above.  It's not literally a package.