Re: Installing Debian 2.2 on UDMA100 disks

Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> "Antonio-M. Corbi Bellot" <acorbi@dlsi.ua.es> writes:
>
> > I have to install Debian 2.2 on an ASUS A7V motherboard 'loaded' with an
> > UDMA100 Promise chip and a hard-disk attached to it, no other hard disk.
> >
> > I read somewhere that UDMA100 was backward compatible with UDMA66,
> > so I tried the UDMA66 'flavor' of the installation disks for Potato,
> > but without look, or there is some special bootflag I haven't seen.
> >
> > Is it possible to install Potato *now* in this kind of hardware
> > (maybe another set of disks not *officially* released) ?.
>
> Not having this hardware or any access to it, I have no idea.  Maybe
> someone else on debian-boot will know?  Or try the user support list?
> Let us know if we need to change anything.

I was under the impression you needed a 2.4. kernel to use udma100.

It really comes down to the chipset you use, the UDMA66 disks have
support for the HPT366 chip (and others), but i think your motherboard
would have a HPT370.

All the UDMA100 motherboards i have seen also have an UDMA33/66
controller, if you plug your hdd into that slower controller you should
be able to install to it using the UDMA disks. Then if you really want
UDMA100 you may have to recompile a 2.4 kernel and move it to you faster
controller.

Glenn