Re: Priorities

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 10:46:36AM -0400, Deephanphongs, David wrote:

> If task packages can provide choice, why not let them?  The
> task-gnome-desktop (or something like that) package was helpful to
> me when I wanted to install gnome, since it's made up of
> half-a-dozen packages.

Yes, but the point is that the task-* packages are intended for use
with the program tasksel, which is used by the initial install system.

A convenience package to install several related packages is a fine
thing in many cases, but it should not be named "task-foo" unless
"foo" is one of the options we want to provide within tasksel.

It seems that many maintainers are not even aware of the existence of
tasksel, and are just using task-* as a standard name for convenience
packages.  This is wrong and we need to fix it.  I suggest we treat
task-* packages like virtual packages or menu categories: something
that you're not allowed to create unless you get approval from an
appropriate mailing list (either d-policy or d-boot, probably).

cheers