Re: boot problems

"George M. Butler" <butler@tcainternet.com> writes:

> Thought I would give you and update.  Finally I had to reinstall
> Debian becuase when I tried to configure XWindows it would not
> activate the mouse and so I would find myself in XWindows and no way
> to bring up a terminal window.

If you have mouse problems that is no reason to have to reinstall.
Just make sure that /dev/mouse symlink is correct (manually if you
ahve to) and/or configure gpm and XF86Config properly.

> When I istalled Debian this time I selected no packages from the
> selection menu and so Debian is installed with a command line
> interface.  I figured I would try to load the packages on the CDs by
> using the command line.  I have tried to use dselect but can not
> figure out how to get it to find packages on the CDRom. I tried
> apt-get Install also and had the same problem.  Any suggestions?
> Thanks

Doesn't apt work for you?  You can configure apt to use the CD.
didn't you get the step where it asks you to configure apt -- you can
rerun that with 'dpkg-reconfigure base-config'.

None of these are reasons to reinstall...