Re: Debian Floppies/ReiserFS

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 09:01:46AM +0200, Marc A . Volovic wrote:

> > I would be very interested in the current state of play with regard to
> > Debian and Reiser ? What can be done at the moment ? Are your patches
> > the only ones ? Are they ready for production machines ???
>
> Basicly, I took woody and slapped a reiserfs capable kernel.deb into
> it. I also produced a reiser-utils package (similar to the currently
> official reiser package).
>
> At the moment, using my diskettes, it is possible to install a
> full debian (woody) with the root filesystem on reiserfs.
>
> The process is NOT streamlines. It requires much manual intervention,
> ignoring the busybox and `mkreisefs`-ing on the command line,
> `mount`-ing on the command line, installation of GRUB instead of
> LILO (which does not like reiserfs, seemingly, on IDE disks).

reiserfs is supported by lilo if you use the -notail option for your root
filesystem (well the /boot partition actually). I didn't test it though.

I have recently installed a debian/reiserfs setup by hand. What are you
supposed to write about fsck passes in the /etc/fstab i just disabled them,
since the fsck launched by init is not able to recognize the reiserfs
partition and launch reiserfsfsck (from the resierfs-utils unofficial debian
package).

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER