Re: wasted disk space

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:
> BTW, my computations of %wasted was wrong because it was relative to total
> disk space instead of used disk space. On my partitition the correct number
> is about 11.8% of the used space. That's a lot of space in my opinion.

12% may be a low estimate of wasted disk space. I had a dir go from 54M
in a 1k block environment to 78M when cp'd to a 4k block system - that
is a 44% increase when moving to 4k blocks, or a 31% savings when moving
to 1k blocks... it was a $HOME and had a mix of file sizes.

Some dirs will see a 100% increase in disk usage when going from 1k to
4k blocks.  e.g., all the .desktop files used by KDE and Gnome, they
average around 2k (under 1k if you strip out the strings for all the
languages you will not support).  The majority of .desktop files in KDE
are now living in /etc, which puts a little more pressure on / to use 1k
blocks.

later,

	Bruce