Re: Poweredge 2400 Raid-5 booting debian

Ries van Twisk <rvt@dds.nl> writes:

> > Should a bug be filed against kernel-source to include a patch? Does
> > the license allow that?
>
> I think it's ok to do that. I downloaded the 2.2.16 kernel from
> kernel.org. (I'll check it again just to be sure...) and the aacraid
> driver where there, but not in the 2.2.17 kernel. I do know that Alan Cox
> is buzy with the aacraid driver, cleaning up and that sort of stuff.
> So I guess including the aacraid modules whould be enough in the 2.2.17
> kernel would be enough right?

Sure -- I would think it would be included in
kernel-image-2.2.17-compact kernel actually.  Can you file a bug
against that package.

> Since Debian is a kind of server destro I
> think it would be nice to have better raid support ar at least a better
> HowTO buut my 'non standard' hardware. Not something like: Put you own
> kernel at the boot disk, but a more step by step instructions.
> If I look back at how I installed the server It took me about two weeks
> to find the info and try think's out. Now I can do it in a matter of
> ours.

I don't disagree, but do you think you could look at the "technical
info" sectino of the install manual where it describes replacing the
kernel, and beef that up?  YOu can send it to me just as comments, as
text, or whatever.

> I'm not a real boot guru but I can this thinks out for you if you like
> that is if you where planning to make boot disk's for aacraid compatible
> servers.

If it gets supported by 2.2.17-compact kernels, it will get supported
by boot-floppies.  What we don't yet support is the full raid tools
0.90 etc yet unfortunately.