Re: [potato] an installation report

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 09:48:23AM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > before dbootstrap's start threre appear LOTS of "modprobe: modprobe: Can't
> > open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep (No such file or
> > directory)"
>
> as reported earlier, this is not really a bug, and there isn't very much
> we can do about it. This is only a "problem" on the main/udma66 floppies
> that have unix.o built as a module. You don't see these on other
> kernels.

OK

> > Starting PCMCIA services: modules/lib/modules/2.2.17/pcmcia/i82365.o
> > init_module: Device or resource busy
> > Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> >  invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> > ds: no socket drivers loaded!
> > /lib/modules/2.2.17/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
> > Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> >  invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> > cardmgr.
> > [...]
> >
> > I do not have PCMCIA on that system. Maybe /etc/init.d/pcmcia should check
> > if "configure PCMCIA" was chosen during dbootstrap?
>
> perhaps file a (wishlist) bug against pcmcia? actually this info is written by
> dbootstrap and debconf should offer to remove pcmcia from your system if
> you don't need pcmcia .

it does, but /etc/init.d/pcmcia is run started _earlier_, before debconf
starts
i'll file the bug

> > wnen I did not configure my network card (i.e. did not load appropriate
> > module driver) the following appears at the end:
> >
> > Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (null)
> > (null) login:
> >
> > and /etc/hosts contains only:
> > 127.0.0.1	(null) localhost
>
> i thought we fixed this... <Sigh>

:-(

> > Doing ls -al on VT2 shows:
> > /lib/modules -> /target/lib/modules /target/lib/modules -> ...
>
> i thought we fixed this too ... :-(

Remember this only happens when I try to install modules and kernel _twice_
i.e. after installing them I scroll down and choose installing them from the
menu.

> > There is no "have fun" screen if you: [Q]uit dselect without using any of
> > it's options
>
> iirc joey had a reason for this. forgot what it is though.

dselect's return value?

regards

Marcin

--