Re: boot-floppies on amiga/apus. friday cvs version.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 03:19:47PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > I wanted to build a new kernel, so that this will be built in the next version
> > of apus boot floppies, but like said above, ... Maybe i will build a source
> > only package and let the autobuilder do the build. Not sure it will work
> > though.
>
> No, autobuilder cannot build boot-floppies, it requires real root.

yes, but what about the kernel-image package ?

> > Maybe it don't now anymore, but i assure you at the time i did that, it wanted
>
> It hasn't for months.
>
> > Well, i know that m68k is not using floppies,
>
> That's not even true, I don't think.  Atari can boot from floppies, at
> least in slink it could.

Yes, but the 720kb floppies support was dropped out of slink.

> > as well as apus. pmac on newer hardware is also not truly using
> > floppies (they don't even have floppy disk anymore), not sure about
> > older pmac hardware. so that lets sparc and alpha.  Not sure
> > aboutthem, but it surely is not the primary install method on sparc.
>
> Sparc can boot from floppies, though some models such as my Ultra5 are
> incapable of that.
>
> It's true that floppies are pretty much deprecated but even a
> *cursory* glance at the m68k documentation and slink documentation
> should show you who is and who is not capable of booting from
> floppies.

See above, ...

Anyway, sorry for having disturbed you and asked stupid questions, i broke my
apus box, i had overload of work in reallife, and was quite sick when i wrote
the previous mail you refered about.

I will try to have apus support on boot floppy working, maybe buy another
disk for it, but in this conditions (having no machine to test it over) you
will understand that it will not be easy for me.

Again, i apologize for any offensive/stupid/whetever thing i could have said
to you. It was not meant such.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER