Re: Mitsumi CD and penguin logo on compact boot disks

Hallo,

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 06:13:50PM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > So two questions remain: Is there any reason not to support
> > mcd/mcdx in the installation kernel and why is there
> > framebuffer support?
>
> Framebuffer support is needed to support some foreign languages (JP in
> particular)

OK, I understand.  Is it possible to fix the problems with
vi and less?  I think most new users don't know how to fix
it and don't know much about stty etc.  Maybe it's the
easiest to make 80x25 the default?

> ISA type devices (like mcd) sometimes causes a system (without the said
> device) to hang on startup. We've had many reports of this type of problems
> in the past.
>
> I don't want to sound like I'm unwilling to help, but between
> causing-machines-to-hang and asking-the-user-to-make-floppies, I hope you'll
> agree that the latter solution is better.

Yes, of course.  I didn't know about the problems with
hanging machines.  Of course, it would be nice to support
mcd and similar devices better, but maybe it would require
ten or more different boot floppies and users would have
the problem to choose.  Not a perfect solution either.

Cheers!