Re: LS120/Zip install update

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> >Plus, I've seen a few systems where the zip shows up as /dev/hdc instead
> >of /dev/hdc4. Same internal ATAPI zip drive, same kernel version (2.2.14
> >from the install) and same zip disk. I mean, I don't know why it does
> >that.
>
> Hello,
>
> if you get the ZIP-Disk on /dev/hdc4 and it is FAT formatted it is normal.
>
> But If you get a /dev/hdc then it is generaly no FAT on it but ext2...
> you can do this while using (c)fdisk and mkfs.ext2....

Again,

Same zip disk (off the shelf, FAT on partition 4), both drives NEC OEM zip
drives (same manufacturing batch), both machines running Potato with stock
2.2.14 kernel. Machine at home shows zip disk on /dev/hdc4, machine at
work shows zip disk on /dev/hdb.

Home machine: i430TX chipset, Award BIOS support for zip.
Work machine: ALi Alladin 5 chipset, BIOS does not recognise zip at all.

There's also a jumper on the zip marked "A" in addition to "master" and
"Csel" jumpers, but as far as the documentation is concerned it determines
if Windows can address the zip drive as [B:] or not. Maybe that setting is
making the difference on the work machine. I did not notice any difference
on the home machine.